Re: Check support for logical volume management

Hi Markus,

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 07:55:11PM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:
> > root@Microknoppix:~# modprobe dm-mod && vgchange --available y
>
> Should LVM tools trigger the loading of the device mapper module automatically?
> Do you expect that such a software dependency should be manually resolved for Knopppix 6.2?

I'm not sure about this.

/usr/sbin/scanpartition checks for softraid partitions using dmraid.
This SHOULD load the corresponding modules.

vgchange could load dm-mod, if block devices in /dev trigger this, but
there is a recursive dependency because udev does not create the devices
unless the module is loaded.

Would there be any disadvantage or possible damage if dm-mod is loaded
by default? I'm thinking about re-formatted partitions that once had a
volume group, but were formatted with a different filesystem later.

Is there a chance that vg* can destroy an existing filesystem?

Regards
-Klaus