Re: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

On 2009/11/17 11:34 (GMT+0100) Klaus Knopper composed:
[helpful stuff]

Thanks for the nice reply, and for the distro. :-)

I tried 6.0.1 again.

# cat /proc/cmdline
ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz
nomce quiet loglevel=0 nolapic_timer BOOT_IMAGE=linux vga=791 vsync=60
screen=1400x1050 no3d depth=16 desktop=kde tz=america/newyork norandr lang=us
nopcmcia

Since I didn't get KDE, I double checked and found my 5.3.1 was the DVD
version, but my 6.0.1 is CD. So much for my memory. :-p

I got 1152x768 @ 54.8 refresh, so something about norandr and/or noddc
apparently didn't work. At least this way the display properties applet
allows to select an appropriate 4:3 resolution and vsync=60.

It got the clock wrong too. Syntax for -0500 I can remember. Names I'm not so
good with. I don't live in New York either, which doesn't help trying to
guess the "correct" alpha syntax right for the -0500 time zone. I tried both
America/Miami, America/NewYork and america/newyork, all of which gave me a 5
hour error.

I tried again using a fresh 6.2 DVD instead. I got KDE, but nothing else
improved. In fact, 1152x864 is the highest 4:3 resolution permitted via the
KDE settings panel, while 6.0.1 offered up to 1600x1200. The only others
offered are 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 & 1360x768. The Trinitron CRT in fact
supports 1792x1344, 1856x1392, 1920x1440 & 2048x1536, maybe higher, but no
16:10 or 16:9 modes.

Still 5 hour clock error, even after clicking america/new york, set
automatically & apply in KDE settings panel.

There is only one item in the Knoppix line item in the KDE menu,
network/internet config.

I tried Epiphany. After typing up to three characters the keyboard ceases to
function in it. Trying to exit it via clicking the X or right click close on
taskbar eventually results in an application not responding dialog.

On the VCs, launching mc results in a chosen charset does not match locale
dialog.

I remember in all versions prior to v6 the default desktop was KDE, and its
"Kicker" taskbar always had icons for most used apps, like settings, web
browser & such. This 6.2 has nothing like that except something about last
plugged device, even though nothing got plugged in after power up.

Normally I find iso files to fetch via MC's internal ftp. I usually start on
mirrors.kernel.org, but I don't see a knoppix dir there. Have you ever tried
to get hosted there? I had to goto gwdg.de to find 6.2, where I also found
the cheatcodes you pasted in your reply. :-)

In the new cheatcodes I could not find any instance of the string dpi. Can it
be made to start up with either actual DPI (when DDC works; e.g on 1920x1200
16" 141.5 DPI laptop), or with an arbitrary DPI other than 96 (whether or not
DDC works)?
--
The husband should fulfill his marital duty to
his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/