Re: Laptop connection to local wireless router

John Culleton wrote:
> My earlier post seems  to have disappeared. Anyhow I have a
> Linksys wireless router. My laptop can reach it using Vista or
> Slackware. But I don't know how to do it from Knoppix 6.01. I found
> the screens but some of the setting are just Greek to me. And once I
> got it set up, how would I save the settings? On Slack I used wicd.
> I am willing to go that route if necessary. But I don't know if it
> is available on knoppix.

You've left out some key information. We'll need to know at least what
wireless card you're working with. The output from the following
commands would be very helpful.

# lspci |grep Network
# ifconfig -a

Depending on what media you're running knoppix from will determine what
you can do about keep some settings across boots. IMO the easiest would
be running from a thumb drive. Using the 'Install to USB Hard Drive'
from a knoppix CD (or something close, its been a while) option will
present you with the choice of using a home/personal ( I don't remember
what exactly you're prompted with) directory with the space remaining on
the device the first time you boot from it.

You also have the option of directing knoppix to use some device as
/home. Say /dev/sdb1 etc. Again, it's been forever since I've looked at
most options. I've been very happy with my install to a thumb drive way
back when 6.0.1 was released.

It's been my experience that knoppix will work with *most* wireless
hardware from the get go without any additional configuration necessary.
Perhaps I've just been lucky.