A difficulty with the setting for scim

Dear all the lover of Knoppix

First of all, I'd like to express my thanks for the new achievements in
the Version 6. I deeply appreciate especially its "flash-knoppix'
concept. I tested it in the V6.0-preview and V6.0.1 soon after their
release. The first task for me is always to install scim. For the
Knoppix users in the non-Western cultures, it is an indispensable
condition to have an input method installed in their system.

In the V6.0-preview, I had to start scim from the file
"/home/knoppix/.xinitrc" because im-switch did not work. In the V6.0.1,
this problem was solved. Now, scim can start automatically. However, I
encountered a difficulty in the setting of the variables $LANG and
$LC_ALL. The input method scim can work only in the UTF-8 environment.
The following description is the case in the V6.0.1.

Suppose I'd like to use scim input method in the English environment. I
would edit the line number 249 of the file
"/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig" and set the variable LANG to
"en_US.UTF-8" instead of "C". On the lxde-Desktop, scim starts
automatically and works well, but something goes wrong with the
variables. In the terminal, I would get the following result;

~$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8.UTF-8
~$ echo $LC_ALL
en_US.UTF-8

The variable LANG has a double ".UTF-8". However, if I would set it
simply to "en_US" in the file "knoppix-autoconfig", then I would get the
result;

~$ echo $LANG
en_US.UTF-8
~$ echo $LC_ALL
en_US

Under this condition, scim can not work correctly. So, I have to decide
for the setting LANG="en_US.UTF-8" in the file "knoppix-autoconfig". I
could not locate the cause of this problem with the variables. I would
be very thunkfull if anybody could give me any advice or proposal of an
alternative solution.

Yours sincerely,
Shiori Tamura
(2009-02-15, Nonthaburi/Thailand)