Re: cannot find CD in /dev/hda

On 2009/01/13 20:45 (GMT-0600) Robert Citek composed:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net> wrote:

>> I've used on cmdline various combinations of:
>> knoppix hdc=cdrom hdc=noprobe 2 vga=791 vsync=60 failsafe

>> But always 5.1.1 hangs looking for CD on /dev/hda. Chipset is i440BX
>> (Thinkpad 600E). What's the secret to booting this?

> You should not have to do anything special.  I've booted 600E's and
> many other ThinkPads straight from the CD without issue.

> Easy things to try:

> 1) boot and check the CD: knoppix testcd
> 2) check that the downloaded image is good
> 3) burn another CD, slowly (<4x)

> Good luck and be sure to let the list know how things go.

My 5.1.1 CD works fine in dozens of newer Intel chip puters. Since posting
I've installed SUSE 11.0 on the Thinkpad, and used Christian Perle's vdsl CD
to do most of the little I had planned to do with Knoppix on the Thinkpad,
but vdsl doesn't include Grub, which is why I tried to use Knoppix. :-(
--
"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he
is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/