To: <debian-knoppix@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2009 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: knoppix 6.0.1: rc script for run level 2

Hallo Zvi,

I guess you have already made the script executable (chmod 755). Then the script should be linked to /etc/rc2/S99rc2. Important is the S##. It means that the script is _S_tarted after all scripts with smaler numbers have been executed. In fact the order of execution is the same as shown with ls -l.

cd /etc/init.d
ln -s rc2 /etc/rc2.d/S99rc2
ls -l /etc/rc2.d/S99rc2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2009-12-11 09:59 /etc/rc2.d/S99rc2 -> rc2

Knoppix is derived from debian, docs are here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/

Runlevel management is here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch03.en.html#_the_runlevel_management_example

With kind regards

Achim

PS: I hope this all is still right, because the starting procedue in UNIX is about to change due to slow booting times.

#################################
Hello,

I installed knoppix 6.0.1 (kernel 2.6.28.4) on a USB disk. The kernel line
in grub
contains "BOOT_IMAGE=linux 2" to launch knoppix in text mode only.

In order to run a script upon entering to run level 2 I wrote a script named
rc2 in /etc/init.d:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Hello from knoppix"
sleep 10

But upon entering runlevel 2, this script is not executed.