Re: Kernel 2.6.32

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 08:20:34AM -0800, stirner wrote:

> I think 2.6.32 is going to come out soon.
>
> I did a preliminary test and it seems that something has changed with zlib:
>
> insmod: error inserting 'cloop.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
> linux:/home/max/cloop-2.631# dmesg -c
> cloop: Unknown symbol zlib_inflateReset
> cloop: Unknown symbol zlib_inflateInit2
> cloop: Unknown symbol zlib_inflate
> cloop: Unknown symbol zlib_inflate_workspacesize

This comes from the kernel-internal decompression. Please make sure this
is enabled in your .config:

CONFIG_ZLIB_INFLATE=y

> No compiling errors.

I'm happy to hear this. There have been a lot of API changes in the
block layer in the recent kernel releases, so I was afraid of having to
change cloop again for kernel 2.6.32, but apparently this is not
necessary.

The zlib functions are needed during runtime, and must either be present
in the static kernel part, or loaded as a module. If none of this is
provided, then you get the message you got.