Re: Kernel 2.6.30

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 06:26:48AM -0700, stirner wrote:
> Klaus Knopper-2 wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried aufs2-29  from aufs2-standalone with 2.6.30-rc8 a few days ago,
> > and it die NOT work out (compile time errors because of redefined
> > functions that apparently had been turned into macros).
> >
> > Which branch of the aufs2-standalone.git did you use? Maybe I just
> > missed something.
> >
> > Of course I would be very happy to include 2.6.30 in the next release
> > already, currently I'm working with a prerelease based on 2.6.29.7.
> >
> > Regards
> > -Klaus

Thanks for the hint about using the master aufs2 version instead of the
Kernel 2.6.29, indeed it works with 2.6.30. :-)

> I was to fast:
>
> there's no problem with usb, but I can't  boot the cdrom iso: it hangs at
> "looking for cd in /dev/hdc".
>
> I tried: failsafe, nodma, cdrom=hdc
>
> If I boot with "debug" and before the hang do a "cat /dev/hd" there is
> nothing from the console.
> It i do the same (at the same point) with the 2.6.29 kernel I've a lot of
> garbage from the console.
> The device was recognized as /dev/hdc and the script set the dma to 1.
> I tried with qemu/kqemu.

This may be a problem related to the now somewhat Knoppix-specific
mixture of IDE and SATA/PATA drivers. Please make sure that you don't
have overlapping drivers in the IDE and SATA/PATA section of your kernel
configuration. In some cases, the best matching driver "wins" and does
not get blocked by the IDE/SATA equivalent, but sometimes this does not
work. Also, you need to enable iso9660 filesystem support. In general,
please compare your newly compiled kernels .config with the one from the
older kernel version. You may have missed a few options, or compiled
them as modules instad of statically compiled in.

Maybe we should in general switch from using the old (but stable) IDE
drivers to a completely SATA/PATA based configuration in order to avoid
conflicts between IDE and PATA? Many distributions seem to use PATA
exclusively instead of IDE today.

Regards
-Klaus