Re: How to extract the content of the Knoppix 5.3.0 minirt.gz ?

Hi Gilles,

Well I gave it a try... but this is beyond me apparently.

gunzip minirt.gz
mkdir init_tmp
cd init_tmp
cpio -imvd --no-absolute-filenames -I ../minirt

 make changes... to these files... then

find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../minirt.gz

but my minirt.gz is smaller

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1465564 Mar 14 00:11 minirt.gz
-r--r--r-- 1 knoppix knoppix 1471612 Feb 16 16:19 minirt.orig.gz

Also The first cpio command had some curious error messages... where
it looked like it was trying to remove the leading slashes... but at
times it looked like it was trying to overwrite device names from the
root of the filesystem. I am puzzled, and glad I can't break this
Knoppix. The only thing I can break is my knoppix.img  which I
probably would have had I done that as root.

Lot of these types of errors...
cpio: Removing leading `/' from member names
cpio: dev/ttyp6: Operation not permitted
dev/ttyp6

and more of these.

cpio: Removing leading `/' from member names
etc/mtab
cpio: Removing leading `/' from member names
cpio: cannot remove current lib/terminfo/l/linux: Read-only file system
lib/terminfo/l/linux
cpio: Removing leading `/' from member names
static/ntfs-3g

It produced enough errors to consume the whole Konsole buffer and some.
Klaus?