Apt-get *stopped working*: "Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1) error"

Title: Apt-get *stopped working*: "Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1) error"

Hello,

For some reason apt-get just seemed to stop working on my hard disk install of knoppix.  I used apt-get to update a package a few weeks back, but when I try to do anything now I get errors similar to the following:

root@roro:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Get:1 http://debian.slimdevices.com stable/main Packages [795B]
99% [1 Packages gzip 0] [Connecting to debian.slimdevices.com (213.228.63.58)]
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Err http://debian.slimdevices.com stable/main Packages
  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Get:2 http://debian.slimdevices.com stable/main Release [795B]
Fetched 1590B in 1s (1351B/s)
Failed to fetch http://debian.slimdevices.com/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
Reading Package Lists... Done
W: Couldn't stat source package list http://debian.slimdevices.com stable/main Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/debian.slimdevices.com_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages) - stat (2 No such file or directory)
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Now the repo (http://debian.slimdevices.com) is fine, I've downloaded from there to other machines (via apt-get) this afternoon.  And same thing with other sources.  The first few lines seem to indicate that the download went fine, but then there was a gzip error.  First time I've seen something like this.  An afternoon of looking on the web has not brought a solution (i.e. tried apt-get clean, changing http to ftp etc).

Any suggestions as to what I can try now?