Re: Boot from USB

On 5/17/08, Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 08:37:54AM +0530, Deepak Barua wrote:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>             I quite new at this and wanted to make a USB bootable
>> distro using knoppix's excellent hardware detection features and
>> scripts .
>>
>> I have hardcoded the USB drive which i'll be using in the USB
>> pendrives MBR in this attached script S00knoppix-autoconfig in which i
>> have added a mount command in line 1104 ...
>
> This will not work, since knoppix.autoconfig is lcated inside the
> compressed filesystem, which is of course located on the pendrive, which
> must be mounted before the file can be accessed.
>
>> Is this the proper way to go about making a USB bootable knoppix or is
>> there a better way ..?
>
> There is a script called "mkbootdev" on Knppix starting from 5.1.1 that
> copies the CD or DVD content to a pendrive and makes it bootable.
> Everything else is already prepared, just in Knoppix 5.3, the delay loop
> for waiting for the drive to register may be too short. So, if you get a
> "knoppix filesystem not found" error, please check linuxrc or init on
> the initial ramdisk (minirt.gz).
>
> Regards
> -Klaus Knopper

Hi Klaus,
        It works because i remastered the knoppix5.1.1 and i mounted
my 2nd USB partition in a 2GB usb pendrive so i copied the knoppix
home directory to this drive uncompressed so the compressed knoppix
system is using a regular ext3 partiion to store  config file , movie
files mp3..etc.... I'll try what you have specified makebootdev ...
but this works too ...and maybe you could add as a USB knoppix
extension feature ...?

Regards
Deepak

--