Re: MySQL

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 04:38:00PM +0000, Keith Hodges wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been attempting to run MySql such that it accepts remote connections.
>
> Having commented out bind-address in /etc/mysql/my.conf and after 10
> hours of fiddling arround I am still no closer to achieving this. Indeed
> it does not even accept a telnet from the local machine to an ip address
>
> e.g.
> telnet 192.168.0.3 3306
>
> telnet 127.0.0.1 3306 does work as expected.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Not really Knoppix-related, but the key seems to be setting these
options in /etc/mysql/my.conf:

 - First comment-out all occurences of skip-networking, SkipNetworking or similar.

 - Set bind-address       = 127.0.0.1
                            ^^^^^^^^^replace by desired IP-Address(es)

Then, restart mysqld and/or safe_mysqld or mysqld_safe.
Additionally, you need to set the PERMISSIONS in the mysql database to
allow connections from other places than "localhost".