Re: First version of Knoppix supporting ALSA?

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 01:27:30AM -0800, John Conover wrote:
> Klaus Knopper writes:
> > On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 01:19:21AM -0800, John Conover wrote:
> > >
> > > What's the first version of Knoppix supporting ALSA?
> > >

> > I think it was version 3.4, but only if you boot with the "knoppix alsa"
> > option. Otherwise, the OSS drivers were used.
> >

> Thanks, Klaus. Does "knoppix alsa" disable usage of OSS?

Kind of. The OSS modules will still be present, and can be loaded
manually. But the "alsa" option starts the alsa autodetection script
prior to hardware detection, and skips sound devices in the rest of the
setup. So, you should get only the alsa modules loaded. At that time
(Knoppix 3.4), ALSA was not stable enough for prduction use, so it was
just an option.

Why are you seeking for an older version, though? The current edition
has ALSA by default.