Re: what is differenent between knoppix 5.0.1 print system and knoppix 5.1 print system?

On Thu, Nov 08, 2007 at 12:44:31PM +0900, Jaehun Shin wrote:
> Knoppix 5.0.1 has a critical problem in printing system.
> I couldn't print any of My printers.
> I have tried everything but I couldn't.

There seems to be a bug in the debian cups packages with older Knoppix
5.0.1: Some of the PPD files cannot be written to disk, most likely
because of wrong path specification in some supporting programs of cups,
all the foomatic*-stuff.

Since the problem went away with newer cups/foomatic packages, I stopped
investigating this.

> When I used Knoppix 5.1, I can print some of my printers.(except HP
> Laser 1000 model.)
> What is differenent between knoppix 5.0.1 print system and knoppix 5.1
> print system?

Just newer Debian packages. Knoppix is almost 100% Debian, so if you
experience an application bug there, it is most likely present in all
Debian-based distributions.

> I think there are some upgraded package.
> Is that all? anyother configuration file? How about owner ship/mode of
> print directory?

If yu are using a hardisk installation of Knoppix 5.0.1, or the
persistent home feature, I would recommend to deinstall all cups and
foomatic packages using the --purge option for also deinstalling old
configuration files, prior to upgrading/reinstalling cups. That way, the
wrong paths are less likely to be continued in the configuration.

It's usually not the permissions of the print directory itself, but of
specific cups cache directories that are either wrong, or present at the
wrong place. cups has undegone several changes in /usr/share/cups,
/usr/lib/cups, /var/lib/cups, ... in Debian for a while, so if you just
keep upgrading cups instead of reinsalling cups from scratch, chances
are that cups breaks easily in your harddisk installation. At least,
from my personal experience.