Re: remastering Q

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:51:09PM -0500, Bryan Jacob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've exhausted every source of information I have access to, from simply
> googling to irc to reading
> Linux LiveCDs, in pursuit of an answer.
>
> I hope this is an appropriate forum to ask this question:
>
> What is the most straightforward approach to taking a stock knoppix 3.4, and
> remastering it to add
> SATA support (so I can boot the CD from a SATA optical drive)?
>
> For reasons outside of my control, we are tied to a 2.4 kernel (for
> deployment of a particular driver/app),
> which is why I'm starting w/Knoppix 3.4.
>
> So far, I've done (in a nutshell) the following:
>
> * ripped out the stock 2.4.26 kernel, replacing it with a 2.4.35 kernel from
> kernel.org
>  (with all of the SATA chipsets support backported from 2.6) Since I'm not
> concerned
>  about the kernel getting bloated, I compiled all the support in, rather
> than as modules
>
> * recompiled the cloop (1.02-2) module against 2.4.35 kernel src and packed
> it back into the initrd

I assume you used the 2.4 initrd here, too.

> * modified the linuxrc script in the initrd to skip loading of the 2.4.26modules
>
> * I left the isolinux.cfg alone, changing my bzImage name to linux24, as the
> original config expects

Sounds all OK to me.

> I can't think of what else needs to be done.  After all of these changes, it
> continues to behave as if
> I hadn't modified the CD at all, i.e. I continue to get that same old
> taunting error:
>
> Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
> Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
> Press reset buto

Please check, within the "limited shell", if your kernel modification
was successful:

cat /proc/version

If you see your new kernel version, the problem may be that, in spite of
your attempt to compile cloop properly, the module does not work with
your kernel. If I remember correctly, you MUST enable "ppp bsd
compression" in the 2.4 kernel config in order to get the kernel-builtin
"unzip/inflate" decompressor to work. If you forget this, you may have an
"unresolved symbol" in cloop, and it won't load.

You may want to check the kernel messages for any hints, either boot
with knoppix-txt (no "quiet" option), or do a

cat /proc/kmsg

in the limited shell. Then, you should see the proper cloop error
message.