Re: Please, help Linus install Debian!

Am Donnerstag 26 Juli 2007 schrieb Gilles Pelletier:
> Le 25 Juillet 2007 18:06, vous avez écrit :

> But I believe I'll stop the discussion here. Otherwise, I'm afraid
> that, instead of copy-pasting the FROM field of one of my messages in
> his mail filter, Sir Eddelbuettel will sent tons of relevant messages
> to explain that I'm "simply wasting everybody's time here". You know
> how some Debian experts have to get their point through...

Hi Gilles,

Well, I actually do think that there is *lots* of room for improvement
regarding usability and userfriendlyness in Linux and open source desktop
environments. But I do not think that Linux stands bad in comparison with
Windows. Actually I do not even think that a general comparison makes
much sense. Better would be looking at concrete issues, copy things from
other operating system that really work well *and* create own better
solutions for things that do not work well there.

And thus where you have concrete suggestions I recommend you to file bug
reports and contact the developers of the relevant packages directly. For
many things it may even be better to contact the upstream developers
directly, cause thats where Debian developers get their sources from.

Why I do recommend you this? Cause I think it will have more chance to
actually have an impact. Get involved! A discussion here won't change lot
and I really do not think that Klaus Knopper will rewrite Debian to make
it more userfriendly. So the discussion here does not have much chance to
have any visible impact at all IMHO.

That said I for example follow KDE 4 developments closely[1], and I am
very impressed that many of the KDE 4 team members actually right now
*improve* a lot upon user friendlyness and usability.

Get involved, make suggestions, make mockups, get in touch with the
various usability teams, if you really want this to have any impact!

[1] http://www.commits.org

Regards,