Re: HP/Compaq ML530 and USB support

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 12:30:23AM -0600, Shane Geiger wrote:
> I have two HP/Compaq ML530 systems that I can boot fine from Knoppix.
> However, I seem to be unable to get either of them to recognize the
> external hard drives plugged into the USB ports.  Has anyone here a
> suggestion?  I tried modprobing the appropriate modules with no
> success.  I'm totally out of ideas.

I don't know if this is a related case, but I've got an old IBM Thinkpad
390E here, which has the effect that, while the USB port if found and
even devices plugged in do appear in "dmesg", there is no data ransfer
possible and therefore no partition can be recognized or mounted from a
USB stick. Can you check "dmesg" for a similar behaviour?

Well, for this old machine (the effect has been there since the start of
the Kernel 2.6 series), simply avoiding acpi solves the problem. It
seems here is a wrng hardware profile selected when acpi is on.

So, please try booting with

knoppix acpi=off noapic pnpbios=off pci=bios

(which contains a set of frequent workarounds for hardware/BIOS related
problems).

If this helps, you may also want to exprtiment with acpi=force
pci=irqroute irqpoll or similar in order to still be able to use some
ACPI features, CPU frequency scaling etc.

Unfortunately, there is no way yet (other than remastering the CD/DVD or
an HD install) to make boot options permanent.