Re: start_kdeinit

Ronny Standtke kirjoitti:
I just updated a remastered Knoppix version (just 'apt-get update'd a lot of things) and noticed that KDE did not start up anymore.

After investigating the issue a bit deeper I found out that "start_kdeinit", which is called in "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession" does not work any longer. Unfortunately I do not have the resources to dig deeper.

The good news is that just replacing "start_kdeinit" with "kdeinit" fixes the problem. I do not oversee all consequences by doing so, I am just happy that my remastered version runs again...

Maybe someone can explain the source of the problem and the consequences of replacing "start_kdeinit" with "kdeinit"?
I faced the same problem while updating from KDE 3.5.7 to 3.5.8. If you look at /usr/bin/startkde, you notice that 'start_kdeinit' has changed to 'start_kdeinit_wrapper'. This is what I use in /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file:

LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit_wrapper --new-startup +kcminit_startup +kded +kdesktop || \ { Xdialog --title startkde --msgbox "Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your installation." 0 0; return 1; }

sleep 4

I don't know why Mr. Knopper has added +kded and +kdesktop to 45xsession. I think they are not necessary and are not even in original 3.5.8 'startkde' script (perhaps has been in some version?).

Regards

-tapsa-