Re: ALSA on Knoppix 3.6?

Dear John,

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 05:07:44PM -0700, John Conover wrote:

> Can ALSA and OSS co-exist on Knoppix 3.6, (i.e., if
> /etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig is executed in the startup sequence in
> /etc/rc5.d, can OSS still be used as well?)

ALSA was not as stable as it is today, in the kernel used on old Knoppix
3.6. There, if you load both, the ALSA and the OSS driver for the same
soundcard, all kinds of things can happen, from silence to loud, randm
noise, up to system freezes. I would recommend booting 3.6 with "knoppix
alsa" if you plan to use alsa, or at least rmmod the oss driver before
attempting to load the alsa driver for the same card.

"Coexisting" is no problem, as long as not both drivers are not loaded
simultaneously.

With newer Knoppix versions, ALSA has become the default, and OSS is
only used for rare cases of cards that are not yet (or won't ever be)
supported by alsa.

With kind regards