Re: 5.2.x development (was: Re: help finding july c't magazine)

Le 24 Septembre 2007 05:41, Klaus Knopper a écrit :

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:09:16AM -0700, Ryan Finnie wrote:

> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on this. I can't find
> > > anything official on KNOPPIX.com. Is there in fact a release
> > > coming out soon?
> > >
> > > Thanx, VML.
> >
> > I suspect Gilles was bring sarcastic, holding Klaus to a
> > "sometime this summer" statement.
>
> I think so, too. ;-)

Of course, I could have been proven wrong, mainly that autumn started
only on 23rd, not the 21st, as I thought.

> Ok, it wasn't summer, I apologize. If you are used to get flooded
> with work, you may understand that spare time projects get delayed,
> sometimes for months. Gilles may even suggest "years", but I don't
> think so.

No, I won't say years, but the Knoppix is definitely taking a trend
towards the ready when it's ready philosophy. What we're talking
about here is a +0.0.1 release and it was supposed to be spring, then
summer, now autumn... And there's absolutely no roadmap. Oh yeah,
cloop will work with kernel 2.6.22!

Of course, when Knoppix was released every second day, no roadmap was
necesary: you just checked the new release. If there was something
you needed, you downloaded, if not, you didn't.

The result is as expected. Now that anybody can post on this group
without registering -- which give you the opportunity of having your
private email address spammed if you ever forget to switch to your
public newsgroup address before posting -- the group is dead.

Is there any reason to complain? No. Kluas did a real good job for
years and has been an inspiration to many developers. Surely the
Live-CD trend wouldn't have come so soon if it hadn't been for him.
But definitely, Knoppix is not where it's at anymore. For some
developers, maybe, but not for Linux users in general.

> Some sponsoring by interest groups provided, we plan to release the
> ADRIANE Audio desktop as a live CD based on MiniKnoppix, still
> within this year, which may also allow us to work on the Knoppix
> base in parallel. I hope to be able to release all live systems
> simultaneously. But I can't give you a date yet. It's ready when
> it's ready. If you want fixed release dates, please consider
> Ubuntu. ;-)

Yeah, Ubuntu is great. Everybody says so. Not me. A distro where Gnome
is king ans KDE an afterthought is not for me. I must be a little bit
Volkerding-ish or Torvalds-ish.

There's PCLinuxOS... with the completly fucked up Mandrake
partitioning tool. Nobody noticed. One wonders what else they didn't
notice...

And there's Suse, of course.  Hey, they made sure they won't get sued
by Microsoft and tied all kinds of threads between the two companies.
Suse has really understood all the advantages that everybody company
that allied with Microsoft has gained from this partnership. Wise
people!

There's Fedora, if you don't care being used as a workbench and
upgrading every year or so, they might some day succeed in making a
LiveCD that works faster than at a crawl. Just as for Suse, all you
need to do is download 5 CDs.

And, of course, there's Windows. It comes installed on pretty much
every PC. Somehow they don't seem afraid to use windows media
codecs...

But, worry not, Linux is about to make on the desktop, very, very,
very soon. Isn't it what has been told for the last 10 years?

So, you can teach me all the lessons you want, I don't care and you
don't need to worry that I'll come back bothering you.

This is my last message. I'm unsubscribing right after it.

Have fun!