remastering Q

Hello,

I've exhausted every source of information I have access to, from simply googling to irc to reading
Linux LiveCDs, in pursuit of an answer.

I hope this is an appropriate forum to ask this question:

What is the most straightforward approach to taking a stock knoppix 3.4, and remastering it to add
SATA support (so I can boot the CD from a SATA optical drive)?

For reasons outside of my control, we are tied to a 2.4 kernel (for deployment of a particular driver/app),
which is why I'm starting w/Knoppix 3.4.

So far, I've done (in a nutshell) the following:

* ripped out the stock 2.4.26 kernel, replacing it with a 2.4.35 kernel from kernel.org
 (with all of the SATA chipsets support backported from 2.6) Since I'm not concerned
 about the kernel getting bloated, I compiled all the support in, rather than as modules

* recompiled the cloop (1.02-2) module against 2.4.35 kernel src and packed it back into the initrd

* modified the linuxrc script in the initrd to skip loading of the 2.4.26 modules

* I left the isolinux.cfg alone, changing my bzImage name to linux24, as the original config expects

I can't think of what else needs to be done.  After all of these changes, it continues to behave as if
I hadn't modified the CD at all, i.e. I continue to get that same old taunting error:

Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
Press reset button to quit

Any ideas?  I could swear it shouldn't be so difficult.  Am I missing some obvious piece?

Thanks