Re: Knoppix'S days over?

Hi Gilles,

I guess you try to check on me if I'm still alive with those kind of
questions you already know an answer to. Well, I am. ;-)

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:33:56PM -0400, gilpel@altern.org wrote:
> "To install KNOPPIX to harddisk a linux swap partition of at least 1GB
> and an empty linux partition formatted with an ext3 file system of at
> least 13GB is needed."
>
> http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/0wn-en.html
>
> This is about Knoppix 5.2, released in July 2007, which release I
> missed. Can anybody explain why 14 GB of disk space are needed to
> install Knoppix?

Maybe, because there are roughly 10 GB of software on the Knppix 5.2 DVD, and
you will probably want to have 4 spare GB in order to save some of your
own work after installation? :-)

> This doesn't look good:
>
> "After copying KNOPPIX to hard disk a GRUB bootloader can be
> installed. An existing bootloader will be overwritten.
> If the *bootloader is installed, only the KNOPPIX installation can be
> booted*. Booting other installed operating systems or adding KNOPPIX
> to an existing bootloader is not implemented."

I's just a description of the new "0wn" installer at the time it was
first written for that release. You don't have to use it. Knoppix still
boots and works fine from DVD without harddisk installation. You try.
;-)

> No mention of multimedia support either.

Why do you have to explicitly mention multimedia support, doesn't every
OS have that nowadays? Btw, is Windows already capable of playing
standard ogg-theora videos or ogg music files with no additional
third-party software? Does it come with a free professional multimedia
creation and processing software? Which international standard do
"windows" multimedia files conform to? Will I still be able to access
my texts, videos and music 10 years from now, without any
incompatibilities or digital restriction plugins that keep me from
accessing my own files?  Questions, questions...

> Herr Doktor Nikolaus Klepp might very well be right then. Maybe Klaus'
> interests have shifted and "Knoppix days are quite over".
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2007/07/msg00019.html
> Well, certainly he'll keep doing something right, but it's really too
> bad for Knoppix.

Well...

Is there some kind of statement behind this, or are you just trying to
keep me busy with long explanations or justifications on why I am also
doing other projects besides Knoppix? I'm still sorry about your
keyboard not working too well, btw. Really...