Re: Using 2.6.20 kernel with knoppix

Tapani Räikkönen kirjoitti:
Dmitry Nezhevenko kirjoitti:
Hi all. Anybody tried to update kernel to 2.6.20? I got some problems.
First of all i use .config from official 2.6.19, build deb with new
kernel, build all required to boot modules: cloop, aufs. After this i
replace cloop.ko and aufs.ko in $CDROM/KNOPPIX/modules, replace all
modules in minirt.gz with new ones, replace $CDROM/boot/linux with new
vmlinuz binary and upgrade all kernel packages in knoppix rootfs.
All of this works in qemu. So i can boot and use knoppix as allways. But
don't work under vmware and on real hardware: kernel boots fine, mounts
initrd, and i can see knoppix welcome message. Last message that i can see is "Accessing knoppix cdrom at /dev/hdc". (/dev/hdc is correct device name for cdrom). After this keyboard leds blinks (looks like kernel panic). Any
ideas? any way to get backtrace?
I have exactly the same problem! I thought first it to be an aufs problem but now I'm quite a sure it is a cloop problem.
Adding cheatcode 'nocache' or 'nopreload' seems to bypass the problem. Disabling following section from linuxrc is what I did:

# New in Knoppix 5.1: cloop preload cache
# Default values
case "$MEDIUM" in
*[Cc][Dd]*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=64" ;;
*[Dd][Vv][Dd]*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=128" ;;
*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=32" ;;
esac

# cloop improves seek performance when caching the directory index
# (first few MB) of each cloop file.
# Default values depending on ramsize, override with cloop_preload=numblocks at boot.
if test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 128000; then
# up to 128MB: No preload.
CLOOP_PRELOAD=""
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 256000; then
# less than 256MB: About 4MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=32"
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 512000; then
# less than 512MB: About 8MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=64"
elif test "$TOTALMEM" -lt 1024000; then
# less than 1GB: About 16MB preload w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=128"
else
# 1GB Ram or more
# About 32MB w/ blocksize 128k
CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=256"
fi

case "$CMDLINE" in *\ nocache*|*\ nocloop_preload*|*\ nopreload*) CLOOP_PRELOAD="" ;; esac

[ -n "$cloop_preload" ] && CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=$cloop_preload"

Has this nothing to do with cloop-utils which seems to be version 0.26-1 and dpkg shows it's status to be 'hi' (half-installed)? My cloop version is 2.05

-tapsa-