Re: pivot_root: No such file or directory

> I've installed Knoppix 3.6 on an Omnibook 800CT, and on the first boot
> after installation the kernel panics with a "pivot_root: No such file
> or directory" message, (followed by /sbin/init: 426: cannot open
> dev/console: No such file.)

It means that mounting of the disk failed.

mkinitrd includes /etc/mkinitrd.conf, MODULES="..." modules and loads them at startup.

If you are missing the one needeed for your hard disk, it won't boot.

Solution:

Boot Knoppix again

$ su -
$ mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 # or whatever root partition is called
$ chroot /mnt/hda1
$ # edit /etc/mkinitrd.conf
$ mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-$(uname -r).img /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/ # or how its called
$ # reboot and hopefully it works

The original used mkinitrd line by knopix-installer can be found in /usr/share/knoppix-installer/modules/boot/* or so ...

In doubt do:

grep -r mkinitrd /usr/share/knoppix-installer/modules/

Its all a bit of the top of my head, but I guess thats still better, than no answer at all or not? ;-) ...

cu

Fabian