Re: This is the digital image era

Le 25 Février 2007 12:48, Ronny Standtke a écrit :

> It is known that Klaus has strong views in favor of open standards
> and to the disadvantage of proprietary stuff. It's a valid
> position.

What's the OpenSource standard for video you'd like to propose? Xvid?
It's based on Mpeg, which is proprietary. In case there is none, do
you really count on Linux users for refraining to watch video for the
years to come... until, in 10 years from now, with Linux's share of
the market having tremendously risen :) , it will be at last possible
possible to offer an OpenSource format *and make it accepted
worldwide as the the de facto standard* ? If so, stop doing hard
drugs!

For the time being, even big companies don't agree on who owns the
codecs. Alcatel-Lucent has sued Microsoft, AT&T Warns Apple of patent
infringement, etc. If Linux stays on the line watching this ridicule
show, it will soon be too late to jump on the bandwagon. The big
companies battling in court continue providing the formats. and, as I
said, AT&T and Alcatel-Lucent can't sue MPlayer before they get to
MS's and Apple's, which could take years, as the ownership of those
codecs could be traced back to the inventor of the 1+1=2 algorythm.
And MS and Apple won't sue MPlayer for fear of making the stakes of
this stupid game all too clear.

> And by the way, OpenOffice import/export filters do not really fall
> into the category of multimedia codecs. The filters are (somewhat
> reverse engineered) pieces of "legal" open source software, not
> some binary-only Windows libraries.

As state televisions all over the world offer their multicasts in
proprietary formats, they could be sued by citizens for providing
their content in a form that obliges them to acquire software from a
given company, thereby giving it an undeserved competitive edge.
MPlayer won't be sued, and maintainers even less.

Anyways, we could discuss this for days on end, it won't change what
will happen. Some developers figured out the reasoning I expose here
long before me and they're climbing Distrowatch's chart. This trend
will continue.

P.s.: It seems this list is so dead that Klaus had to resort to let
anybody post without registering. I'm reposting this with the address
I registered with, vainly hoping that it will make less spam to
manage for my provider.