How to update everything?

I was downgrading a few applications under the assumption that if I didn't save my KNOPPIX configuration, I could reboot and the state of the system would be "like new". Unfortunately, that's not what happened... I was using a thumb drive and now xscreensaver won't fire up - even after a reboot. System complains about a library...

Is there some command that will upgrade all applications? If I can do this, I think my problem will be solved...