Re: Knoppix 5.1 Mini-Announcement

Hi Klaus, Hi all:

Thanks for clarifying. To come to you, a few days ago
I did a new installation of Debian etch i386 with the
new installer RC1. No nvidia drivers were installed,
it works perfectly with graphics also for my
molecular-mechanics package openGL (I simply had to
install libmotif3_2.2.3-1.5.deb package taken from
unstable, because the version on etch gives no support
to openGL with my system with GeForce). Also
povray-3.6 works perfectly. Don't know if the
acceleration is sufficient for animated affairs. At
any event, in the past, when I had nvidia glx, I had
to install the same libtary for openGL.

With the workstation (nForce) I never installed X
because it is used for quantum mechanical
computations, so that I feared that X will bring in 32
bit libraries affecting the floating point.

Yes, it seems that we are getting further freedom (and
efficiency: the gnome I am using on the new
installation defeates any commercial gui that I have
seen so far).

What is lacking from unixes is a free-form database. I
have to use one with wine (it works also on knoppix
pivot_root install, and - provided the machine has 1GB
ram - faster and far more robust that on the
proprietary OS for which it was written!). From time
to time I try to stimulate some bright brain to write
a free-form database for unix (which is the sole type
of PERSONAL database that is useful to the scientist).
Unfortunately, I could merely suggest the tasks that
should be addressed.

Cheers
francesco pietra