Re: Reducing the size of apt-caches

On 9/7/06, Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
There are probably many more things that I do in a more difficult way
than they could be done.  ;-)

Actually, I just remembered that my build script removes all files in
/var/cache:
(cd ${SOURCE}/var/cache; find . -type f | xargs -r rm)

apt-{get,cache} automatically rebuilds pkgcache.bin and
srcpkgcache.bin when needed.  Boom, you just saved ~1MB CD space :)
(well, pre-cloop, but I believe those files are compressed to begin
with)

FYI, my build scripts are at
http://www.finnix.org/files/scripts/stage1 and
http://www.finnix.org/files/scripts/stage2 .  stage1 has a lot of
space-saving hints, but is also pretty messy.  stage2 isn't likely to
be much help because Finnix's CD/initrd layout has become VASTLY
different from Knoppix's.

Also, since you just saved 1MB, you should include a FreeDOS bootdisk
with Knoppix.  I've made a single-disk "utility image" at
http://www.finnix.org/Balder for the FreeDOS 1.0 release, and it can
be loaded from isolinux via memdisk.  I've found FreeDOS to be useful
for BIOS updates and stuff.

RF