[ANNOUNCE] deb installed:/UNIONFS/ ./ - apt-method-installed 0.3 - Faster than ever

Hi,

so half a year later, here is the second part of the patch ;-).

Short story shorter:

Install http://studwww.ira.uka.de/~s_franz2/packages/apt-method-installed_0.3-1_all.deb and add an entry like deb
installed:/UNIONFS ./ to /etc/apt/sources.list.

Enjoy!

This time it is a full-featured debian-package. Ready to be installed.

It needs star and dpkg-repack as dependencies.

But what does it do:

Now I'm having here a brand new KNOPPIX 5.0.1 DVD from Klaus hands directly :-D and I want to update my vim on my system from it.

Ok, I could boot the knoppix.

dpkg-repack vim

Boot back into my system, install. Oops, missing dependency again. Boot back, ok that cannot be the solution.

In my last mails (http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2006/02/msg00011.html,http://lists.debian.org/debian-knoppix/2006/02/msg00012.html) I had already automized it so far, that it did work by using dpkg-repack on the fly.

But Klaus pointed out that dpkg-repack

a) wastes space and memory
b) wastes CPU power by compressing and decompressing
c) There are PCs that do not have enough space left to repack for example openoffice.
d) So also wastes a lot of time.

By stracing dpkg I found out that just the backend dpkg-deb needs to be wrapped.

Now it should achieve a performance close to just copying the files from CD.

It needs spax (in package star), because else it is not possible to handle diversions correctly.

How I use it
------------

I did mount my KNOPPIX DVD on /cdrom and mounted the compressed system to /UNIONFS.

So /UNIONFS is my source I want to use to install packages.

I add the entry:

'deb installed:/UNIONFS ./'

to /etc/apt/sources.list.

I install the apt-method-installed package.

# dpkg -i apt-method-installed_0.3-1_all.deb

# apt-get update

# apt-get install vim

Voila, it gets vim and all dependencies from the DVD instead of the network and the files flow directly from DVD to your harddisk.

Note:

If the version on the network is newer you might need to comment the network entries in the sources.list file.

If your files are diverted the diverted files _are_ cached locally. There is no easy possibility to avoid this.

So, I think 2 years and 6 months since this idea came first up, the feature is finally finished! :-D

Enjoy!

Greetings from Skolelinux Developer Meeting 2006, wher e I also met Klaus and Martin to exchange some ideas, which led to this development.

cu

Fabian

PS: CC to debian-edu, because it was developed on the devel-camp :-D.
PPS: @Klaus: I would love to be mentioned in the Knoppix-Changelog again. ;-)