Re: knoppix and ubuntu?

Hi Manolis,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 02:32:43PM +0100, Manolis Mathioudakis wrote:
> I saw on newsforge that Klaus was at the ubuntu meeting in paris. Doing a bit a googling I also notest an account on ubuntu's launchpad.
>   Are we going to see knoppix moving over to ubuntu instead of debian like mepis did?

Isn't that a bit too much speculations about me, after just being a
guest at the Ubuntu developer meeting? ;-)

Since the complete story is kind of lengthy, here just the short summary
answer to your question: Knoppix will stay with Debian as base.

There are some Ubuntu packages that I would really like to adopt, but
unfortunately, they are not so easy to integrate because of library
incompatibilities with Debian. Luckily, most of the Ubuntu development
goes upstream to Debian after a while, so it's likely that they will
reach Knoppix sooner or later.

There have been voices, independent from the meeting, that said I should
switch to Ubuntu which would make everything easier for me. As you may
have noticed, I happen to chose complicated paths rather than easy ones,
maybe just for the thrills of having some challenge.  ;-)

But there is no reason why there should not be a kind of cooperation and
exchange of ideas and work between Ubuntu and Debian/Knoppix
development. For me, the meeting was a great success. I made some
contacts with the Ubuntu accessibility group, who pointed me to some
great upstream software packages which could speed up development of the
ADRIANE-Knoppix project
(http://knopper.net/knoppix-adriane/index-en.html), and met some others
that are working on performance improvements for the Live DVD, who showed
me charts proving how slow drive seek times really are (in ALL live CDs,
even with LCAT). I shared some of my ideas, and code as well, which may
or may not appear in Ubuntu.

Hope this clears things up. And yes, as of right now, I really like
Ubuntu and the well-organized way they are getting things done at a
developer meeting. :-)