Re: Ogg video files opened by XMMS

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 06:53:58PM -0400, gilpel@altern.org wrote:
> Le 30 Juin 2006 14:24, vous avez écrit :
>
> > On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 02:11:27PM -0400, gilpel@altern.org wrote:
> > > Just a note to say that Knoppix attempted to open an ogg video
> > > file with XMMS. I then tried Kaffeine, it didn't work either. I
> > > believe it was finally Audacity -- a sound editor!!! -- that
> > > opened it. There was sound on only one channel, the driver for my
> > > C-Media card made the other channel sound noisy as hell as usual,
> > > but it otherwise worked. The picture was there all right.
> >
> > That is strange, I can play ogg-thera videos without problems here!
> > Are you sure it is really a video file, not just an audio?
>
> As I wrote, "The picture was there all right".

Ugh... You are right, things like this indicate that I'm answering more
mails than I can really handle, especially when I fail to read the
original questions right. :-(

> The file was the following:
>
> http://www.novell.com/video/bs_06/monday_press_demo.ogg
>
> a  > 100 MB boring demo of SLED.

Too much for my slow ISDN connection :-(

> Maybe I should have added that, since it's a very large file and I
> only have 256MB of RAM, I played it directly from the HD, which was
> mounted RX.

This should not matter. It may play a role to enable DMA if possible, so
data transfer rate from HD is dast enough.

> > But it could also be a problem with the soundcard detection, for
> > example, if accidentially two drivers are loaded for one card. This
> > could lockup the sound device. And would be a yet not reported bug
> > in the hardware detection (hwsetup tries to make sure that onle one
> > driver is loaded for a device).
>
> My sound card is a C-Media. I can check the model if you want but,
> until now, it has always been detected correctly. The only problem is
> that there is a lot of background noise. Though it's the cheapest
> kind of sound card, I believe the driver is not quite adequate.

Hmm... As an electrical engineer, I cannot think of another reason for
background noise other than than either

1. electrical shielding problems (hardware),
2. the microphone or line-in being active as recording resource, when in monitor mode.

> > Which Knoppix version did you use, btw?
>
> 5.0.1
>
> Since I have an electronic engineer at hand, I have one more
> question :). My Viewsonic VX922's user guide has the following
> advice:
>
> "WARNING: Do not set the graphics card in your computer to exceed a
> resolution of 1280 x 1024@75Hz or the maximum refresh rate of 85Hz at
> lower resolutions; doing so may result in permanent damage to your
> LCD display."

Translation: "This device is badly designed and breaks immediately in
case of signals outside its specification, rather than disabling the
dignal."

> This advice is only in the user manual... and you can only get the
> user manual online if you provide the serial number of your Viewsonic
> monitor. In other words, you must buy the monitor in order to read
> the advice. How do you like that?

Almost as good as the license of a well-known hardware vendor that,
after you downloaded the proprietary driver software and only then were
able to actually read the license, says that you must NEVER transmit the
software over a network.  :-)

> Still, I was surprized that an LCD monitor could be damaged by a wrong
> refresh rate.

If it saved 50 cent for a missing electronic safety circuit, and those
50 cent are a netto gain for the manufacturer, of course. Same for
winmodems, because, replacing hardware functions (cost money) by
software functions (cost no money) increases profit. Still wonder why
there is so much bad hardware around nowadays? ;-)

> Even the manual of the crappy LG L1952TX that I had
> before said you could throw anything at it, that it was no problem.

Devices of higher quality have safety measures that disable input that
exceeds the specification.

> And you'll remember that, following your suggestion of trying a
> higher refresh rate, I indeed did, and it wasn't a problem.

You were just lucky. ;-)

> Viewsonic's service doesn't even acknowledge reception of my request
> for information and I might have to return the monitor even though it
> works perfectly. (I don't want to take the risk of scrapping my
> monitor with a wrong refresh rate like in the bad old days.)
>
> Sometimes I wonder if that warning hasn't been copy-pasted in China
> from a CRT manual with only CRT changed for LCD. Do you believe it's
> possible to scrap an LCD monitor with a wrong refresh rate?

Definitely, if the signal is fed into the display controller unfiltered
and without an electronic switch that is turning off signals outside the
specification. I know that for my very old Dell Xpi, you could kill the
TFT display when going over 85Hz.

Regards
-Klaus