Re: Ogg video files opened by XMMS

Le 30 Juin 2006 14:24, vous avez écrit :

> On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 02:11:27PM -0400, gilpel@altern.org wrote:
> > Just a note to say that Knoppix attempted to open an ogg video
> > file with XMMS. I then tried Kaffeine, it didn't work either. I
> > believe it was finally Audacity -- a sound editor!!! -- that
> > opened it. There was sound on only one channel, the driver for my
> > C-Media card made the other channel sound noisy as hell as usual,
> > but it otherwise worked. The picture was there all right.
>
> That is strange, I can play ogg-thera videos without problems here!
> Are you sure it is really a video file, not just an audio?

As I wrote, "The picture was there all right".

The file was the following:

http://www.novell.com/video/bs_06/monday_press_demo.ogg

a  > 100 MB boring demo of SLED.

Maybe I should have added that, since it's a very large file and I
only have 256MB of RAM, I played it directly from the HD, which was
mounted RX.

> But it could also be a problem with the soundcard detection, for
> example, if accidentially two drivers are loaded for one card. This
> could lockup the sound device. And would be a yet not reported bug
> in the hardware detection (hwsetup tries to make sure that onle one
> driver is loaded for a device).

My sound card is a C-Media. I can check the model if you want but,
until now, it has always been detected correctly. The only problem is
that there is a lot of background noise. Though it's the cheapest
kind of sound card, I believe the driver is not adequate.

> Which Knoppix version did you use, btw?

5.0.1

Since I have an electronic engineer at hand, I have one more
question :). My Viewsonic VX922's user guide has the following
advice:

"WARNING: Do not set the graphics card in your computer to exceed a
resolution of 1280 x 1024@75Hz or the maximum refresh rate of 85Hz at
lower resolutions; doing so may result in permanent damage to your
LCD display."

This advice is only in the user manual... and you can only get the
user manual online if you provide the serial number of your Viewsonic
monitor. In other words, you must buy the monitor in order to read
the advice. How do you like that?

Still, I was surprized that an LCD monitor could be damaged by a wrong
refresh rate. Even the manual of the crappy LG L1952TX that I had
before said you could throw anything at it, that it was no problem.
And you'll remember that, following your suggestion of trying a
higher refresh rate, I indeed did, and it wasn't a problem.

Viewsonic's service doesn't even acknowledge reception of my request
for information and I might have to return the monitor even though it
works perfectly. (I don't want to take the risk of scrapping my
monitor with a wrong refresh rate like in the bad old days.)

Sometimes I wonder if that warning hasn't been copy-pasted in China
from a CRT manual with only CRT changed for LCD. Do you believe it's
possible to scrap an LCD monitor with a wrong refresh rate?

Regards!

Gilles