[ANNOUNCE] deb installed:/UNIONFS/ ./ - apt-method-installed 0.1

Hi,

short story shorter:

Put attached script in /var/lib/apt/methods/ and add an entry like deb
installed:/UNIONFS ./ to /etc/apt/sources.list.

Enjoy!

Ok, long story:

I'm currently staying at iso-top.info for various reasons and being here in
this nice environment with lots of Knoppix and Kanotix all around has put me
into an excited auto-hacker-mode :-).

Fortunately I could find a version of the apt-method-ssh debian package on
archive.org, which made my work _much_ easier.

Thanks go to Scott, but please even if you do no longer maintain
iapt-method-ssh, keep up a copy on your website so others like me can find
it.

apt-method-installed still uses dpkg-repack, because dpkg _needs_ something to
install from, but all the apt stuff is completely transparent.

You can think of the installed:/UNIONFS/ as an ressource like an HTTP or FTP
Server, but instead of downloading you repack just what you need.

@Klaus: I hope this gets near your idea of Knoppix installation / update.

I have not extensively tested it, but it _seems_ to work.

Overall: I can't believe that we have needed more than two years to come up
with a simple 140 line shell script to solve it.

I think what gave me the final idea was that Klaus put it up not as "How can
we update from an Knoppix?" but as "How can apt use deb
installed:/UNIONFS/ ./"?

Ok, on to more testing! And yes: I am excited!

cu

Fabian

PS: If it works this is my this years contribution to the CeBit edition ;-).