Finnix, and mastering optimization

I said I'd announce my project here, and here it is: Finnix (http://www.finnix.org/) version 86.0 has been released. Finnix is a small (<100MB) LiveCD with a focus on system administration; it includes many packages not found in Knoppix, such as LVM2 and cryptsetup, but no X or productivity tools. It uses Debian testing as a base, unionfs, and squashfs as the loopback filesystem. The initrd and rcS scripts are based on Knoppix, but diverged a decent amount. Because of those differences, I don't consider Finnix a "remaster" project, but I'm grateful for the existing code to be based off :). Below is the sourceforge announcement, but I thought I'd talk about sorting/ordering first.

Klaus posted earlier his code for generating a list of files to be used with -sort on mkisofs. I think I've improved upon that a bit. To start out, temporarily replace the autoconfig script with a script that starts an strace (capturing open, stat64 and execve), then calls the original autoconfig script. I have an example script on the Finnix CD in /etc/init.d/finnix-autoconfig-strace. Build the CD, and boot it. Then I use a perl script on the running machine against the strace output (it's done on the running machine because it checks for files that are deleted before the end, such as /etc/mtab~). The script is available at http://www.finnix.org/files/strace-reorder . The script uses a simple weight based on when the file was first looked at, and how many times it's accessed after that (some math geeks could probably improve it by averaging out access positions based on other file accesses, so each CD seek could travel the least amount of distance necessary, etc). Then the result is fed to mkisofs (or in my case mksquashfs) and a final build is done.

Let me know if you have any ideas for improvement.  Thanks!

RF

--
Finnix 86.0 Released

Nearly 6 years ago, Finnix 0.03 made history as one of the first bootable CD Linux distributions. It may have taken awhile, but Finnix is back as a small (less than 100MB), fully-featured LiveCD for system administrators.

Finnix 86.0 includes 336 Debian packages, Linux kernel 2.6.13, and advanced system utilities such as LVM2. You can mount and manipulate hard drives and partitions, monitor networks, rebuild boot records, install other operating systems, and much more. Finnix can be run in as little as 32MB RAM, but if you have at least 192MB RAM, you can run the entire distribution from a ramdisk, saving access time during use, at the expense of a small wait during boot while the CD is copied to RAM (this wait is negligible due to the distribution's small size).

Most importantly, Finnix can be burned to a "Mini-CDR", which, as a fashion statement, goes great with your laptop bag or pocket.

Please visit http://www.finnix.org/ to learn more or download a copy!