knoppix 3.9 iptables : string-match

Hello there,

i just questioned at the knoppix.net forum but got no help.
I followed the hint, asking in this mailing list.
Today I failed compiling different versions of the ipt_string Modul for
IpTables.
My working System is a Knoppix 4.0, with Kernel 2.6.12 (the original from
knoppix). Iptables has been updated to 1.3.3
I know, that there is a ipt_string Modul compiled in it, but this doesn't
work: Invalid module format.
So this is not suitable for my kernel-version.
My next try was some Modules out of patch-o-matic-ng from netfilter.org
compiling with the kernel.
But the latest Version containing string-match doesn't work either. I even
can't get it compiled because of several errors.
Then i tried compiling th ipt_string.c out of the iptables1.3.3-sources within
the kernel. That didn't work as well.

So I had a look at an old remasterd Installation of Knoppix 3.9. There was a
compiled modul, BUT it didn't work.
When trying to use it by this command:
iptables -I INPUT -m string --string "test" -j DROP
I got an error "Iptables: No chain/target/match by that name"

What's wrong now?
Does anyone know, how to set up a working iptables with string-match?

Greets,
florian Osses