/var/spool/cups/tmp permissions wrong, and unionfs problems

I had quite at time getting cups to work with the 4.0.2 DVD image,
I finally tracked it down to incorrect permissions in /var/spool/cups/tmp

knoppix@25[spool]$ sudo ls -la /KNOPPIX/var/spool/cups
total 6
drwx--x---   3 root sys  2048 Jul 27  2004 .
drwxr-xr-x  16 root root 2048 Jun  7 11:52 ..
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root 2048 Sep 23 04:05 tmp

The wonky thing is that
    chmod 1777 /var/spool/cups/tmp
didn't seem to work.

	root@25[spool]# chmod 777 cups/tmp
	root@25[spool]# sudo -u knoppix touch cups/tmp/something
	touch: cannot touch `cups/tmp/something': Permission denied
	root@25[spool]# ls -ld cups/tmp
	drwxrwxrwx  2 root root 40 Oct  5 10:42 cups/tmp

I ultimately needed to
    mv /var/spool/cups /var/spool/cups2
    mkdir /var/spool/cups /var/spool/cups/tmp
    chgrp sys /var/spool/cups{,/tmp}
    chmod 775 /var/spool/cups/tmp
    chmod 770 /var/spool/cups
    mv /var/spool/cups2/* /var/spool/cups

(the last bit was because I had some queue files waiting in /var/spool/cups)

The reason why I did a mv of /var/spool/cups is that doing an rm -rf
seemed to cause weird problems.   It also doesn't work to prebuild
/var/spool/cups and then do a pair of MVs, but that's an issue for
the unionfs list.

In playing around, I managed to get to the point where even the following happened:

	# mv cups amess
	mv: cannot move `cups' to a subdirectory of itself, `amess'
	# mkdir amessdir
	# mv cups amessdir
	#

--