no sound when knoppix 4.01 DVD starts up (KDE)

I installed knoppix 4.0 from a dvd that was included with Linux Format issue 73
on my drive /dev/hdb16 and it went well.
When I boot up, there is no startup sound in KDE.
Sound works in XMMS, Xine when I play a cd.
I had the same problem in libranet 3.0 and libranet support
suggested I add the following in "/etc/modprobe.d/sound_opts
with the following contents:

options snd_intel8x0 index=1
options snd_end1371 index=0

Now startup sound works in libranet 3.0

I did this in kno 4.0 and I still get no startup sound.

TIA

jozien