Knoppix 4.0.2-CD very slow

Hi, I recently downloaded the Knoppix 4.0.2 CD ISO. Whenever I do something that involves a lot of disc activity, such as copy a lot of files or compile software, Knoppix slows down and eventually stalls. These things run fine in text mode (init 2). I'm running it on a computer with a 1 GHz processor and 128 MB RAM. The previous version (Knoppix 3.4) I ran worked fine. Did the requirements for the new version of Knoppix go up? Is there anything I can do (besides getting more RAM. =))?

Nick Rogers