Re: Debian-type install: Runlevel 5?

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 05:13:24PM +0100, marc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the Debian-style install runs with runlevel 5.
> Debian's runlevel is 2. Is there a reason for this change?

Runlevel 5 is traditional "multiuser with graphical environment",
whereas Debian, for resons unknown to me, uses runlevel 2 for the same
thing (which would traditionally be "multiuser without graphical
environment").

> This came about as I was configuring Samba, which was failing to boot.
> I then noticed that Samba is active only for runlevels 2 and 3, but
> not 4 and 5. Easy fix, but is there a reason?

I don't knw why samba is not installed for runlevel 5. Maybe the author
of the samba package (or the installer) thought that Samba was more
suitable for dedicated servers (which fits more into the runlevel 3
category).

> The only other oddity I noticed is that KDM *and* XDM are started for
> runlevel 5.

This is definitely a bug in the installer.