Knoppix 4.0 plans & "call for software"

Dear debian-knoppix list,

as some of you may already know, I've long been planning to split the
Knoppix project, starting from version 4.0, into two parallel releases,
namely the

- Knoppix DVD Maxi edition, with everthing that's useful and exciting in
  GNU/Linux (including more supported languages), and the

- Knoppix "Light" CD edition, which contains as much "Desktop"-Software
  as possible, but only a limited amount of developement stuff (if it
  still fits).

This should eliminate the "running out of space problem", that has always been
there, for a while.

For the first regular DVD edition of Knoppix 4.0, I'm planning to press
a limited amount of manufactured DVDs again soon, hopefully in time for
LinuxTag 2005 (23-25. June 2005), which should contain the upcoming
Knoppix 3.9 stuff plus a lot of more GNU/Linux software.

A few weeks later (giving the CD distributors some time to get ahold of
a few copies), the DVD image will also be available on selected mirrors
(at least the ones that can afford holding and distributing a 4.5 GB iso
image).

Therefore, here comes the

REQUEST FOR SOFTWARE TO INCLUDE IN THE KNOPPIX 4.0 DVD EDITION

Do you know of software you always wanted to see on a Live CD/DVD
system, yet it was always too large to fit on a remastered Knoppix CD,
like eclipse or mono, or vegastrike? Here is your opportunity to make a
suggestion for Knoppix 4.0!

Conditions sine qua non:

1. Your recommended software must be "freely distributable for
non-commercial as well as commercial use". Restrictions such as "free
for educational purposes only", or "must not be sold in a PC magazine",
or "may be distributed in binary form, but each user must register
himself at xyz and further distribution is not allowed", or "must not be
used on fridays 13th by a blonde person" are NOT allowed for Knoppix.
GPL/OpenSource compatible licenses are preferred, of course, because
they cause the least trouble for inclusion. So-called "freeware" that is
available at various places for "free (of cost) download", usually has
an insufficient license for free REdistribution.

2. The recommended software must exist as a prepackaged Debian package,
ready for installation, and, in case of GPL/OpenSource software, the
accompanying source archives must be available for archival, to fulfill
the GPL.

3. The sofware must be suitable for children of all ages. No violent
games.

4. The software must run under Debian GNU/Linux, i386 compatible.

5. The software must not be export-restricted or violate copyrights or
trademarks or patents of third parties.

INSTRUCTIONS:

In order to make a software recommendation compliant with the
aforementioned conditions for Knoppix 4.0, please reply to:

       knoppix-request at knopper.net

I will collect and review all recommendations and see if it's possible
in each individual case.

If you get an automatic reply that basically says that I don't exist or
there was a kind of "permission denied by rule" mail error, you have
probably used a header or keyword sequence that's present in my spam
filter, which has to cope with about 20000 mails per day. Don't worry,
just resend your mail and try to modify it so that it does not look like
spam anymore. ;-)

With kind regards