Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix 3.8.2 packages

Hello Yann,

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 09:37:03AM +0200, Yann Cochard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Comparing packages between Knoppix 3.8.1 and 3.8.2, some questions or
> remarks :
>  + kompare has been added, but we already have kdiff3 (which is more
> powerfull). Some space may be taken here.

Good point, thanks!

>  + kernel-headers have been removed. I guess that's for space reason,
> to allow all the other additions ?

kernel-headers in 3.8.1 was an experiment in order to be more
"debian-like", but it was not a good idea because of the easy
possibility of wrong kernel compilations (old "kernel-headers" being
used when compiling a NEW kernel). So, I went back to the previous
behavious to have /usr/include/linux and other kerne-specific header
files to point to /usr/src/linux/include via symlinks.

>  + lsb-base added : great if as I guess that's for a great
> compatibility of Knoppix to LSB.

I'm not responsible for that, though, it just "happened" during the last
update. ;-)

>  + madwifi-modules added : great, wireless is now a definitive must.

Well, they didn't compile in 3.8.1, so it took an update to get them
back. Tzanks to Daniel Kabs to point me to the sourceforge page with the
updated drivers.

> Thanks Klaus for this wonderful new version, the numbering (from 3.8.1
> to 3.8.2) does not really reflect the great improvements ;-)

Well, really never liked version numbers; a "compile date" is more
accurate, since Knoppix represents a snapshot of the currentmost
Debian/GNU software. But people keep telling me the (more or less
meaningless) version numbers for questions, so I will probably
count those upwards for small updates, too.

My original thinking was "update the version number only for big changes
(like new KDE or OpenOffice versions or significate changes in the boot
system)."