Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix 3.7 and old machines

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 06:20:29PM -0600, Donn Washburn wrote:
> Well for the first time I have ever seen knoppix 3.7 fail to boot.
> Today on two older machines, with likely 4X CDs, 1.2GHD and limited
> memory knoppix failed .
>
> 1. With (as I remember) has AMI BIOS which Knoppix said was corrupt
> and refused to even boot.  It did have a bootable CD bios.

You probably need a BIOS update if the machine can't boot in
no-emulation mode.

> 2. Another AT type with Award's Bios did boot off the CD but failed to
> see the CD later in the boot process.  I tried "noscsi" and about any
> other "no" option.  It still hung on refinding the CD (an older IDE CD).

If it hangs while accessing the CD, try

knoppix nodma

since you may have a defective DMA controller. This is default in
Knoppix 3.4, and again in 3.8.

> 3. And finally a machine that would not even boot the CD.

BIOS problem: no-emulation mode not supported.

With kind regards