Using Knoppix for rescue disk.

I know of at least one MSWindows user who keeps a Knoppix disk around to
rescue his system in case of a catastrophic event, such as a virus. He uses
Knoppix to access his intact files.

I am trying to figure out how this works. During a Knoppix session can one
dismount the CDR and then write to a blank cdr or cdrw? If so, is there a way
to stream the data so that one wouldn't need 700 MB somewhere to store an iso
image? Perhaps one can write a track at a time? I am assuming an NTFS file
system on the hard drive.

Suggestions welcomed.

--
John Culleton