Re: [debian-knoppix] Midi ports work under knoppix?

Fred- thanks for your replies. Yes, I have heard
everywhere that I would need to use ALSA to get midi
working.

However, according to all the ALSA researched I've
done (including those very informative links just
mentioned), knoppix does not include all the required
modules/libraries in order to get the midiports
working with ALSA.

It is solely for this reason that I have installed
knoppix to harddrive, only in order to get midi
working.  I became one of the biggest fans of the
Knoppix liveCD and my HD install is only a development
system to be used to remaster a liveCD image (actually
my boot device is a compact flash card but that
irrelevant here)

Since the rosegarden v2.1 (included in knoppix) uses
the OSS driver, I presume that knoppix is able to
autoconfigure (at least) certain soundcard's midi
ports; otherwise why include rosegarden in the knoppix
distro?

My biggest question now is "has anybody ever gotten
midiports working (on liveCD or HD install) without
having to install extra libraries or modules?"  Then
my question is "what tricks are necessary in order to
get the midiports working?"

In the meantime, I've got a lot of ALSA reading and
experimentation ahead of me as I try to find out what
libraries and modules need to be installed/compiled.
This is a bit over my head in complexity since I've
never had to jump thru such hoops on MS Windows, but
I'm committed to getting MIDI under Knoppix working.