[debian-knoppix] Re: access to /dev/hda denied

Sinister Midget <sm@200motels.com> wrote:
> See if it can tell you what the partition table of /dev/hda is:
>
>   fdisk -l /dev/hda

The partition table is ok.

> It's possible you've lost the drive instead of simply b0rken the boot
> sector. I just lost a drive 2 days ago myself. It was there are at boot
> and died in the middle of using it 2 minutes later.
>
> Also, what are you accessing /dev/hda for? Maybe you should be calling
> /dev/hda1 or whatever your root partition is instead?

My description was somewhat misleading: I want to write lilo into the
mbr. I run
lilo -r /mnt/hda7
to install the lilo.conf of my debian system residing on
/dev/hda7. The actual problem seems to be the implicit access to
/dev/hda by lilo when writing the mbr.

Regards,

Elias