Re: [debian-knoppix] Knoppix the reanimator // what to take out for 3.4

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 06:33:28PM +0200, Achim Unger wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> > Knoppix brought my laptop back to life as well - got exactly the same
> > problem, dodgy IDE connector which I tried to get fixed but to no
> > avail:(
> >
> > So with Knoppix I was able to use the machine immediately with the
> > live CD, and then later I installed to an external firewire drive once
> > I'd learnt how to boot using the CD and pivot_root to the root file
> > system on sda1.  Try doing that with windows ;)
> >
> > WRT suggestions on what should go, I too think that one of the office
> > suites should be dropped (but which one, Koffice?).
>
> All except OpenOffice!

One point for the "smaller" office applications was always that there
should be a "smaller" memory footprint version of a spreadsheet or word
processor as alternative to OpenOffice as "killer app". But then,
OpenOffice 1.1.1 seems to be somewhat more memory-efficient, and the
koffice suite is not much less memory-consuming either. So, removing
koffice is probably the way to go.

Btw, would anybody miss gnumeric terribly? 40MB.

I still see no way to fit latex with 101 MB of dependencies back in into
a single-CD version. :-(