Re: [debian-knoppix] Is Knoppix dead?

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 01:29:42PM -0700, mark everton wrote:
> Yes, common Klaus!
>
> Give us some status on 3.4. What's holding it back?
> I can't be only the size. Because if you are thinking
> about that. Trust me when I say that one way or the
> other someone is not going to be happy. But hey,
> that's live.
> 2 months now without knoppix is mutch too long...

Well, there has been the c't edition in February, and the CeBit edition
in March 2004. So, there is some apparently visible progress already.
;-)

We still have a lot of things to work on and test before the official
beta release. Most important changes from the CeBit Edition 3.4:

- KDE 3.2.2
- OpenOffice 1.1.1
- New Kernels (currentmost 2.4 and 2.6)
- New wireless drivers for Centrino, Prism2/3, Ateros, possibly more.
- Lots of new usability features and gimmicks (ask Fabian for more).

Current TODOs:
- Testing/Debugging the new features
- Fix Menu structure of KDE 3.2.2
- Search for 60 MB (!) of stuff to delete. KDE 3.2.2 and OpenOffice
  1.1.1 have really gotten huge. LaTeX will have to go, I'm afraid (it
  was already removed in the CeBit Edition). I'm thinking about removing
  KOffice too, because it has not more functionality than OpenOffice.

This should be finished within a few days, but instead of giving a wrong
date for a release and thus just raising expectations unnecessarily, I'm
just quoting from the Knoppix website: "It's ready when it's ready." ;-)