Re: [debian-knoppix] speeding up boot time (was: knoppix-autoconfig fully con...)

Am Dienstag, 24. Februar 2004 17:33 schrieb probono:
> Hi all,
>
> what would be really nice to save some boot time: A "skip hw detection and
> read hw config from file instead" option. Many people use Knoppix on the
> same machine all the time and could re-use hw configs.

Already done. See beginner mode in next knoppix-installer release.

> A propos speeding up boot time:
>
> It would be great to see the ideas (especially starting services in
> parallel) from
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-boot.html?ca=dgr-lnxw
>04BootFaster taken to reality. I think Knoppix would be the ideal system to
> implement the suggestions from there because Knoppix is more a
> "fixed"/"frozen" system than anything running from HD.

Not possible, as Knoppix is as minimal as possible ...

> As for shutdown:
> Why not speed it up using "shutdown -f"?

You like your data ? ;-)

You would need to sync and remount read-only first ...

And at last, shutdown on knoppix is not slow ...
(There is even an delay in there for reasons of system stability ...)

> Right now, I can't play around with it myself as I am on vacation but
> perhaps someone does.

Enjoy it!

cu

Fabian