[debian-knoppix] Menu Editing has become a headache

 hello people,

I am trying to remaster Knoppix CD. After chrooted, I don't know how to change menu.

Though I tried several things. But really none of these tricks were found to work.

I think skel.tar in /etc/skel or /home/knoppix has to do something with menu editing. But I don't know how to deal with it.

Though I did some changes in (cd /etc/skel or /home/knoppix)
      ./.kde/share/applnk/*
But nothing intereting happened.

I want to know whether any changes made to /usr/lib/menu will be reflected or not.

As a last option I tried this........
I converted skel.tar to knoppix.tar (i.e. untar skel.tar and then move to knoppix and tar it again) and  wrote following script in linuxrc script....

rm -f /linuxrc ( part of linuxrc script)

(my additions)

cd /home
rm -f knoppix
cp /KNOPPIX/home/knoppix.tar /home
cd /home
tar -xvf knoppix.tar
chown -R knoppix.knoppix knoppix
rm knoppix.tar

But still I couldn't get the changed menu, which I did in knoppix.tar.
(i.e. ./.kde/share/applnk)

I really want a solution at this stage.
Somene suggested that if you could have gnome as a default desktop, than it would be easy for you  to do menu change. Is it really so???
And if yes how should I do it?????

I tried to keep this mail short, but couldn't do so. Sorry for that...

Please reply me soon.

here...
sandesh