[debian-knoppix] Re: Create Knoppix Live-CD from an installed Debian System

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Lorenzo Mastrangelo wrote:

> Well probably it's not clear to all... I don't want to put my hard-disk intalled Debian on CD (i.e. using bootcd package), I want to make a normal knoppix live cd using my system as base. So, I wonder if it is possible to make (easily as in remastering way) something like this:
Well this is what I mean: There is bootcd - but this is not what you want.
You want something I mentioned in previous threads (check the Archive
for Author "Andreas Tille" - I mostly posted mails about this topic, starting
with March last year).

> 1) Install Debian Sid on hard disk
> 2) Install mozilla, openoffice, mplayer, etc.
> 3) Install Knoppix specific packages from http://developer.linuxtag.net/knoppix/i386/
> 4) ???
> 5 Make .iso and burn

This is more or less my plan but I have only the idea but zero time for
realisation.  I started a project on alioth.debian.org named debian-knoppix.
This project has not yet released anything - but nobody will stop you
joining and do some work.  The advantage of this approach would be perhaps
a Knoppix CD for any hardware architecture which is supported by Debian.

(BTW, the only difference is that you have missed step zero to build
 a chroot environment because this aproach would probably conflict to
 some parts of the Debian policy, but this has to be sorted out in
 detail.)

Kind regards and thanks for supporting this idea

    Andreas.